Sunday, October 07, 2007

Sunday Links


40,000 masterworks in the public domain. The site's in German, but it's mostly a list of names, good in any language.

The interactive map of WWI.

Three nonverbal keys to negotiating.

A spinning singularity might become naked.

Is it 1927 in China?

Cover yourself at work through notes.

Was acid the secret behind the double helix?

Inkless printing at less than 2 nanometers.

Ridley Scott speaks.

Have embryonic planets been found?

What it actually costs to found a startup.

The purpose of the appendix.

2 comments:

loner said...

Blade Runner again. I remain baffled as to why they don't just give it up. It'll always be an attractive mess which has little in common with the Philip K. Dick novel from which character names, dialogue and a third or so of an idea were lifted.

My limited regard for Blade Runner isn't solely based on my familiarity with the Dick novel. In addition to his highly entertaining monster movie, Alien, I'd also seen Ridley Scott's excellent first feature, The Duellists, a gorgeous period movie that benefits enormously from the source material being a Joseph Conrad short-story.

I think Scott's best movie is Black Hawk Down. Gladiator is more a triumph for the actors involved. The not named movies he's directed I don't care if I ever see again.

I did discover that an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian is in production with Ridley as director. If they get it right, it'll be a The Wild Bunch forty years further on in movie history and sixty or so years further into the past in American history. I live in hope.

Charlie Martin said...

Everyone knows the appendix is there for the proof that was too long and ugly for the body text.