Sunday, July 22, 2007

Brilliant!

My one-word review of the seven books about the boy who lived and one-word description of their creator, Joanne (J. K.) Rowling.

Over 50 years ago and 29 days after the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, my favorite dramatic confrontation in a repeatedly-read series of six books published in three parts takes place and ends thus:

Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad.

'I pass the test,' she said. 'I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.'


Today, I feel much the same as I did when I first read those words some 37 years ago—exalted.

1 comment:

buddy larsen said...

The youngest drove with her pack into Austin yesterday to gather in their individual copies of HP. She got home around 10PM and is still awake, camped in her bedroom reading, low light, some indeterminate soft classical music playing, an incense candle burning. "On page 200" she just announced, whilst emerging for a green tea and a spot of breakfast. She has to work tomorrow, so wants to read the whole thing straight thru, one sitting. Ahg--that was me at her age with the James Bond books--straight thru, one sitting, total immersion.