Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Belmont Club: Rage against the dying of the light

The Belmont Club: Rage against the dying of the light: "I feel compelled to carry Alexander Litvinenko's dying words in full, as dictated from his bedside and reported by the BBC. Although incurably poisoned with radiation, Litinenko went out defiant. You may detect, though I might possibly be only imagining it, a ghost of a final smile on his lips."


I agree:

I would like to thank many people. My doctors, nurses and hospital staff who are doing all they can for me, the British police who are pursuing my case with vigour and professionalism and are watching over me and my family.

I would like to thank the British government for taking me under their care. I am honoured to be a British citizen.

I would like to thank the British public for their messages of support and for the interest they have shown in my plight.

I thank my wife Marina, who has stood by me. My love for her and our son knows no bounds.

But as I lie here I can distinctly hear the beating of wings of the angel of death.

I may be able to give him the slip but I have to say my legs do not run as fast as I would like.

I think, therefore, that this may be the time to say one or two things to the person responsible for my present condition.

You may succeed in silencing me but that silence comes at a price. You have shown yourself to be as barbaric and ruthless as your most hostile critics have claimed.

You have shown yourself to have no respect for life, liberty or any civilised value.

You have shown yourself to be unworthy of your office, to be unworthy of the trust of civilised men and women.

You may succeed in silencing one man but the howl of protest from around the world will reverberate, Mr Putin, in your ears for the rest of your life.

May God forgive you for what you have done, not only to me but to beloved Russia and its people.

Alexander Litvinenko
21 November 2006

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't that something? I wonder why it is that the Russians who can be such brilliant artists can be so brutal, especially to their own?

People talk about whether or not the
Arabs are capable of democracy, I wonder if the Russians are.